XV ogle / mplayer interaction

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang+gnus200601 at dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com
Wed Jan 25 15:34:07 PST 2006

Discussion on the openbsd-ports list has zero-ed in on a problem a few
people have noticed with ogle displaying a solid black window
sometimes.  The first observation was that a freshly started X would
display ogle video just fine, but after mplayer was run the ogle
window would be solid black and continue to be until X was restarted.

What it turned out to be was that mplayer was clearing the
"autopaint_colorkey", which caused ogle to no longer have XV set up
the way it needed it.

It isn't clear to me who is in the wrong here.  Is the convention that
programs are supposed to leave things the way they found them and
mplayer is being sloppy or is the convention that every program needs
to setup everything it needs and ogle isn't being careful enough to
set things up the way it needs them?

FYI, I think this is where mplayer is clearing things:

MPlayer-1.0pre7/libvo/x11_common.c:2436:

    else // disable colorkey autopainting if supported
    {
      if ( xv_atom != None ) // we have autopaint attribute
      {
        XvSetPortAttribute( mDisplay, xv_port, xv_atom, 0 );
      }
    }

-wolfgang
Direct SIP URL Dialing: http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/phonedirectory.html