xshape+xcomposite

chinlu chinawa chinluchinawa at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jan 22 10:15:08 PST 2006

Hi,

Sorry to bother again asking about development in
here, but don't know anywhere else where to ask
questions such like this, since for example xfree does
not ship xcomposite.

I've finished with what I wanted to, transparent
windows with smooth corners through imlib2, you can
see some screenshots on this folder, plus the image
used:

http://www.geocities.com/ucho_trabajo/x11/

The thing is I'm not capable to use xshape any longer.
I think there might be any reason for which xshape
stopped from working when using argb visuals. I guess
this extension doesn't support them at all, haven't
tried but I think if I set up a non-argb mask for it,
an depth mistmatch error will come up, cose my app has
previously asked for an argb visual.

I used to set up the hand pixmap-cursor for the mouse
once over my xshaped window, and it would respect
image's transparency or shape, but don't know how this
should be done now, hopefully someone can tell the
proper way of doing it.

Another question is in regards of xcomposite itself,
I've noticed it doesn't do anything if I set up an
override-redirected window as I used to do with xfree,
I mean, it doesn't render or composite any shadows.

I've been looking at xcompmgr sources, and I'm
thinking about implementing the needed part on my app,
so it would have shaped shadows coming from image's
alpha channel (as you can see in the images show
above). Is this alright? would it be problematic if
this app is run into another
server which's got already a composite manager
running? or is there any specified way for which I can
make my app. to let the actual compositing manager
knows that, for this time app+compositing routines
comes together and that it shouldn't be decorating it?

I'm also asking myself whether an xfree server will
allow to be
compiled with xcomposite support, and how much
difficult it could be
for anyone, if possible.

Kind Regards,