Latest Xgl code

Rich Wareham rjw57 at hermes.cam.ac.uk
Thu Jan 5 08:37:51 PST 2006

Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-01-05 at 16:37 +0100, Matthias Hopf wrote:
>> On Jan 04, 06 10:08:48 +0000, Rich Wareham wrote:
>>> I also managed to get it working under Ubuntu (just plain ol' x86 this
>>> time) along with patched Mesa and glxcompmgr. Is it worth my time fixing
>>> up glxcompmgr (e.g. to make it work with some non-metacity WMs like
>>> blackbox) or should I wait until David's snazzy compositing manager is
>>> available?
>> We are currently discussing whether there will be a stand alone
>> composition manager or only a combined window/composition manager.
>
> Where is this discussion taking place? FWIW, my vote goes for the
> latter, both because it seems to make more sense conceptually and due to
> my experience with xcompmgr vs. xfce4's built-in compositor.

Agreed if only because nice virtual desktop transition effects and
minimisation/maximisation animations (my personal interest) either
require a lot of communication between the window and compositing
managers[1] or for them to be the same thing.

[1] Such as, off the top of my head, a set of window hints for
transformations, a DBUS/DCOP API or some similarly nasty solution.

--
Rich