CVS Update: xc (branch: trunk)

Eric Anholt eta at lclark.edu
Sun Sep 18 02:23:13 PDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-09-17 at 13:02 -0700, Eric Anholt wrote:
> CVSROOT:	/cvs/xorg
> Module name:	xc
> Changes by:	anholt at gabe.freedesktop.org	05/09/17 13:02:02
>
> Log message:
>   - Don't try to upload 0 byte-per-pixel (PICT_a1) data using
>     RADEONHostDataBlit.
>   - Disable the shortcut for switching from 3d to 3d in radeon_exa.c.  It
>     appears that we do need the cache flush here, thought it's not clear
>     why.  Disable the 2d to 2d shortcut while here, since I'm unsure of
>     what we're doing.  Exposed by the following bit:
>   - Bug #4485: Add a new routine, exaGlyphs, to handle font drawing.
>     Glyphs were being accumulated in from non-migratable scratch pixmaps,
>     causing the destination pixmap to move towards screen but the
>     migration necessary for source never to happen, leading to abysmal
>     performance.  Instead, copy the scratch glyph data into a real pixmap
>     first, then composite from that into the destination, allowing for
>     migration.  time ls -lR from programs/Xserver showed 26.9% (+/- 6.3%)
>     decrease in wall time (n=3).
>   - Create exaDrawableUse* wrapping exaPixmapUse*, but which are aware of
>     windows needing backing store.  Makes migration code prettier, and
>     ensures that composited windows will be migrated as normal when we
>     turn off cw for EXA. (issue brought up by keithp)

We had a discussion on IRC about the cost of item 2, disabling the
shortcut for "switching" from 2d to 2d or 3d to 3d.  I decided to test
this, using the same ls -lR, against the theoretical best of never
having to do the syncing (stick a break at the top of
RADEON_SWITCH_TO_*).  It was clear that fonts were broken when I made
this change.  At n=7, a=.05, caches hot, there was no statistically
significant difference.  In this case, I'm quite happy with the code as
it is and feel no need to try to squeeze hypothetical performance out by
being stingier with the flushes :)

Eric Anholt                                     eta at lclark.edu
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/              anholt at FreeBSD.org