slides from my talk at DDC

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 18:48:15 PDT 2005

On 7/27/05, Dave Airlie <airlied at gmail.com> wrote:
> Some issues I don't mention that need thinking about are going to be
> how mode setting interacts with virtual screens, and
> merged-framebuffer type things... (i.e. you want to set two different
> modes on the CRTCs but only have a single framebuffer, the mode
> setting APIs I've looked at don't seem to cover this too well... but
> maybe they don't need to.

In my original scheme if you owned both heads the valid merged fbmodes
would be added to the mode list. You can generate the valid list by
knowing the chip capability and the DDC from both of the monitors. If
you then set a mergefb mode both monitor would change mode if needed
and the CRTC would be adjusted for the new resolution. Set either
monitor back to a non-merged mode to cancel.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at gmail.com