Can't Get XWindows Up

Van Ingen, Lane lvaningen at ESNCC.com
Thu Feb 24 13:52:39 PST 2005

Jaroslaw, good suggestions; I did put my changes into /etc/X11/xorg.conf, but do still get same results
(if I run gdm, it appears to try to display, but I just get black screens a few times, then it gives up).

There are resolutions in the .conf file now, but they aren't the same as yours. Attached a copy of file.
I do have all of the lines except 'Viewport', but they may not be set right. Have been trying to find some
doc on how to figure if parms in file are right, but so far haven't found any.

I didn't question the VESA selection because it looks like XWindows acknowledged it in the attached
log, around line 312; as a result, I thought it was OK.

Talk about experience with this - this is my first time, and it has been an ugly experience so far. Hope I
can get this solved!

-----Original Message-----
From: xorg-bounces at lists.freedesktop.org on behalf of Jaroslaw Gorny
Sent: Thu 2/24/2005 3:14 PM
To: xorg at lists.freedesktop.org
Subject: Re: Can't Get XWindows Up

Hi,

I have no experience with stuff You're trying to do, just let me give
some generic tips.

1. Are You sure, You are running Xorg with xorg.conf.new file?
'Cause by default it uses /etc/X11/xorg.conf
So, maybe You should rename the file...

2. You've got there sth like:

>     HorizSync   31.0 - 60.0
>     HorizSync   60.0 - 75.0
>     VerRefresh  56.2 - 75.0
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think You don't have to provide two
times HorizSync.

3. You don't have any resolutions specified  in conf file.

For example:
##
Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Videocard0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     16
                Modes    "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
                Modes    "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubSection
EndSection
##

4. You can approximate the desired V and H frequencies.
Suppose You want to work with resolution 1024x768 and with refresh 75kHz
(let's assume Your device can handle this):

So,
VertRefresh should be sth like 50-90

HorizSync is VertRefresh*(number_of_lines),
75Hz*768=57.6kHz

--
Jaroslaw Gorny
jaroslav at aster.pl