LCD Switching (was: Re: High resolution on i855 external CRT)

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 17:27:53 PST 2005

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 17:29:43 -0500, Andrew Barr <barr.156 at osu.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-02-04 at 16:59 -0500, Alex Deucher wrote:
> > Xorg has no support for ACPI at the moment.
>
> Is this something that's planned for the future? A quick check of
> relevant pages on the X.Org wiki doesn't have any mention of ACPI as a
> planned/future/unfinished project.

Some of the vga device/drm/fb work in the kernel may faciliate that.
but there are no formal plans at the moment, at least not that I know
of.

> > In fact if the bios is
> > handling the hotkey events, it may be running into conflict with the X
> > server which is probably why you get corruption; that and your LCD
> > can't handle a 1280x1024 mode.
>
> I found that using the xrandr command to bring the resolution down to
> 1024x768 and _then_ using this key does work. Here's the remaining
> problem: if I start X with the LCD running (and presumably without the
> CRT attached as well) the X server automatically goes down to 1024x768,
> the max. resolution of the LCD. 1280x1024 is not available to switch to
> via xrandr if I connect the CRT later. Is there any way to have X make
> this at least available for me to use if I connect my CRT after startup?

not really.  you may be able to hack something together using the
clone option and xrandr.  you could probably force the crt output on,
and then specify the hsync and vrefresh fo rthe monitor.  then when
the monitor is in 1280x1024 mode the LCD will scroll around in a
virtual desktop (I think, I'm not too familiar with the cloen option
in the i810 driver).  then when you use xrandr to switch to 1024x768,
both heads should switch.

Alex