Xgl/Xegl future?

Clemens Eisserer linuxhippy at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 03:56:05 PDT 2005

> Yes. The major toolkits seem to be moving to GL backends, and there are
> proofs of concept of GL based compositing managers. I'm wondering what
> effect these trends will have on the usefulness of Xgl, has anybody else
> considered that?

Well I think its quite problematic, since all applications us etheir
own OpenGL contexts, upload their own glyph-cache textures and have a
lot of common data that shouldbe shared somewhere.
Another problem I see is that those backends are absolutly not
network-transparent (how could they) - its more or less a quick and
ditry fix what toolkits are doing for now just because Xorg is a too
slow moving target (in fact X11 always lagged 5y behind mswindows).

I hope RENDER will be more and more accepted in future - its the much
better way of doing thing.

Hmmm the impact of OGL backends to XGL ... difficutly to say - but in
general there will stay needs on hw-accerlated RENDER stuff and it
would greatly simplify driver development if only 3d drivers need to
be developed anymore instead of seperate 2d/3d drivers.

lg Clemens