Plans for dynamically re-configurable X server

Vladimir Dergachev volodya at mindspring.com
Fri Oct 22 07:52:55 PDT 2004

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004, Alex Deucher wrote:

> Has anyone started working on this?  Is there an API in the works?
> Perhaps something like Xv attributes, only for the Xserver itself
> rather than overlay specific?  The last time I brought this up was

This would be great, except that I would strongly advocate doing it
*better* than Xv attributes. In no particular order and by no means
exhaustive:

     * dynamic addition/removal of attributes

     * true ENUM attributes (with string constants as values)

     * vector/matrix attributes (to upload gamma curves for example)

     * event generating attributes (so it is possible to set on
       per attribute basis to send a new value to applications when an
       attribute is changed)

     * hierarchical attributes (so one can chain them per subsystem,
       this might be as trivial as using names like "SYSTEM.xxx.ATTR"

     * having private field for each attribute for callback
        (to get rid of the endless if(){}else clauses)

                        best

                           Vladimir Dergachev