[Xorg] Kdrive

Masik Shmasik manichka at peterlink.ru
Sun May 30 14:13:42 PDT 2004

Hi list,

First of all how did I find out about Kdrive? I was testing some real slick and small distro DamnSmallLinux. Now, after booting it up,
I couldn't believe my eyes. It was X, but no? What are those Xfbdev
or Xvesa? Most surprising for me was the speed, that is primary
my concern. I'm trying to get rid of any X at all, I simply don't need it except... yes, it is Firefox which unfortunately doesn't run on
frame buffer. After trying Kdrive, I'm about to wipe my system clean
and install it ( no, xorg is a branch of Xfree and I'm not going to try
it, I'm pretty sure it is the same bloat as all those KDE, Gnome, etc.)

Now, when I'm finished with my rant ( sorry ), I have a few questions before I'll take a plunge.

1) The difference between Xfbdev and Xvesa is that Xfbdev needs Xfree
working tree and Xvesa is self-contained?

2) Is this correct that compiled Xvesa Kdrive will be under 700K?

3) Will kdrive works well with XFS file system?

4) Does Firefox runs good on top of it?

5) In Gentoo portage, I have the following compile options:
cjk, fbdev, freetype, fs, IPv6, speedo, truetype, type1,
xinerama, xv.
>From all those compile option I have only xv ( I don't know
why gentoo developers decided that I need This graphic
view; I'll go with xzgv) and truetype. What options are really
needed beside that it depends on my needs? I know that I don't need
xinerama and fbdev ( which requires X? ), but what with others?
What are they? What does type1 ( font?) does? What is fs? Is that
the font too? Never mind IPv6, I probably need it, but all others?

6) How many people using Kdrive and what tips they can kindly provide?

Thanks for your attention.

Mas.