[Xorg] debrix

Jakub Piotr Cłapa loc at toya.net.pl
Sun Jun 27 13:35:06 PDT 2004

Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 27, 2004 at 10:18:43PM +0200, Jakub Piotr C??apa wrote:
>
>>Daniel Stone wrote:

>>>I had it all done at home, and tarballs uploaded (uploading 5MB sucks
>>>over a modem), so I scp'ed a diff, and imported to CVS from there (which
>>>was painful, because it came from X.Org, and had to be updated from
>>>XORG-RELEASE-1 and XDAMAGE-FIXES along the way, as well as some stuff
>>>from xserver).
>>>
>>>So, I had no CVS checkout. I swore I had one around somewhere, but no,
>>>couldn't find one. I'll grab it tonight.
>>
>>Modem? I thought everybody living outside of Poland have a DSL these
>>days. :)
>
> I live 3.8km from the exchange as the crow flies - more by the route the
> wires actually take - and my street isn't cabled, because the cables are
> all underground, and so there's really no reason to expend so much money
> to connect 11 houses, when most of them probably don't want cable
> anyway.
>
> Trust me, I'd have broadband if I could. But this is Australia. :)

I trust you. :D

>>>I've been thinking about it, yes.
>>
>>Cool. :) Same problem with 'fb' (it can be mistaken for fbdev).
>
> Thanks for the catch. Maybe it's worth renaming r128/atimisc/radeon to
> ati-r128/ati-atimisc/ati-radeon or such, and then symlinking the old
> names for compatibility?

Maybe. Tha main problem is Xorg binary loading sth as a driver without
complaining about it not being a driver. :D It should be checked somehow
IMHO. A list of display drivers + compatibile hardware (better - PCI
ids) would also be cool. (or is it actually done in -configure? tt also
failed for me)

>>>Interesting - maybe conflicting Xrender versions. Does rebuilding help?
>>>Sorry to be a pain in the butt ...
>>
>>You are a pain? I thought I am the one who is. :D
>>I'll setup a chroot and build/run it there.
>
> Awesome, thanks a lot.

It's me who is thanking a lot. :D

>>>The changes are mainly to the debrix core - the debrix module doesn't
>>>build any libs anymore, only the one binary. Both fbdev and nv had deps
>>>on variables inside Xorg (XAA/fbdevHW), so those needed to be folded
>>>back into the main binary.
>>
>>Yup. That's what I have been thinking of. :) I managed to figure out
>>that building of fbdevhw is currently turned off.
>
> It's not turned off, it's just currently built as a module
> (libfbdevhw.la: lib_LTLIBRARIES = libfbdevhw.la, vs noinst_LIBRARIES =
>  libfbdevhw.a, and linked into the final binary).

Don't understand the difference (yet) but AFAIR fbdev is complaining
about missing fbdevhw.

>>Btw. My last e-mail ought to go to the list (and the previous one as
>>well). Are you sure Reply-to should be considered harmful? :D
>
> Pretty sure, yep. I use group reply by default.

So I have to change the way I'm used to use my e-mail program. (groups
I'm most active on set the Reply-To header) :D

--
Regards,
Jakub Piotr Cłapa