[Xorg] 'nv' driver, autotooled for xserver

max.muermann at logicacmg.com max.muermann at logicacmg.com
Sun Jun 6 18:00:39 PDT 2004

Hi List,

I'm new to this, so first up thanks for all the good work ;)

System environment: Dell Precision M50 laptop, Debian unstable, Nvidia Quadro4
500 GoGL video card (64MB), which works nicely under Xfree with nv and nvidia
drivers.

I got the latest xserver tarball (can't get to CVS thanks to the stupid
security policy), noticed that apparently the patches to the build system are
already in, and did the following:

./autogen.sh --prefix=/opt/fdo --enable-xorgserver --disable-kdriveserver

(took me a while to figure that last one out...)

Got a bunch of compilation errors in hw/xorg/os-support/linux/int10/linux.c,
complaining about missing open(), O_RWRD, errno and close(), which I got rid
of by adding

#include "errno.h"
#include "unistd.h"
#include "fcntl.h"

to linux.c.

Starting xserver with

sudo /opt/fdo/bin/Xorg -nolisten tcp -ac :1

results in videocard (Nvidia Quadro4 500 GoGL) being identified, the screen
goes black, so I assume the video card is being initialised.
The whole thing then stops with a Signal 11. The last lines from the log are:

(==) NV(0): Backing store disabled
(==) NV(0): Silken mouse enabled
(**) Option "dpms"
(**) NV(0): DPMS enabled
(==) RandR enabled

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11.  Server aborting

On the console, after "(==) Using config File ..." and before "Fatal Server
Error" there is another line:

fbdev trace: probe start

Does anybody have an idea what might be going wrong? Is there any way to get
more debug output out of the server?

Cheers,
Max