autoconf trouble

Enrico Weigelt weigelt at metux.de
Sun Sep 11 17:54:27 PDT 2005

* Enrico Weigelt <weigelt at metux.de> wrote:
> * Shawn Starr <shawn.starr at rogers.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
> > Exactly why is Automake not easier then bloating things with XML?
> > I like to hand edit my .am files without worrying about missing > or /'s.
>
> Because it's not an strict declarative model.
> m4 is an powerful macro-language. much too powerful for that.
> And obviously autoconf does not work *reliably*.

BTW: if it's just XML you dislike ...
Well, it was just an example presentation.

We actually don't need any nested structures here - a plain propertylist
does it all. So we could ie. also write:

    ## build info for libXdmcp
    @STYLE:		plain-library
    library-name:	Xdmcp
    import:		xproto
    library-version:	0.1.0.0

    ## public includes are exported to other packages and
    ## thus installed under $(includedir)
    public-include:	X11/Xdmcp.h
    public-include:	X11/Xdmcpconf.h

    ## c-source files.
    source:		AA8.c(lang=c)
    source:		A8Eq.c(lang=c)

That's actually also the model I use as package configuration for
my fully automated distro-builder system ...

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT service
  fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     contact at metux.de