[Xorg-driver-geode] last call for testing: X.org Geode 2.11.9 release candidate

Mart Raudsepp leio at gentoo.org
Sun Aug 15 23:51:43 PDT 2010

On E, 2010-08-16 at 09:49 +0300, Martin-Éric Racine wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 9:36 AM, Mart Raudsepp <leio at gentoo.org> wrote:
> > On L, 2010-08-14 at 11:32 +0300, Martin-Éric Racine wrote:
> >> Greetings,
> >>
> >> As recently announced, we now have a release candidate for the X.org
> >> Geode 2.11.9 video driver. [1] Please test
> >> it extensively and immediately report any significant regression
> >> directly into the X.org Bugzilla. [2] If nothing major gets reported
> >> during this weekend, we'll release what we currently have in GIT by
> >> Monday morning.
> >
> > Looks like the rotation code isn't quite perfect yet.
> >
> > Before doing any rotation:
> >
> > http://dev.gentoo.org/~leio/xorg/geode-before-rotation-20100816.png
> >
> > After rotating to inverted mode, and then (importantly) back to normal
> > mode:
> >
> > http://dev.gentoo.org/~leio/xorg/geode-after-rotation-20100816.png
> >
> > Notice all icon images missing again, various glyphs turned to vertical
> > lines and a broken openbox panel black/grey gradient on the bottom.
> >
> > It seems that right after the rotation patch at commit 8a61ef8f, the
> > problem is already present.
> >
> > I would consider this a release blocker for a while. OTOH, rotation
> > didn't work at all with xserver-1.7+ before, so I guess it depends on
> > how quick we can find a solution for this, and if xserver-1.6 (where
> > rotation worked before) is affected by this.
>
> Thanks for reporting this.
>
> Since OLPC are the main user for this feature, I would have
> appreciated receiving feedback from them earlier than this.

Bernie's feedback just now was that it works fine. But just asked to
test what happens after going back to normal mode, as that's where the
problem appears - after destroying of the scratch pixmap header that was
created upon entering rotated mode.

Also on XO-1 things were working fine before, as the reserved memory
approach we had before didn't trigger any issues with xserver-1.6, that
is used on the XO-1 FC-11 images, but didn't work at all since
xserver-1.7+.

Mart