[Xorg-driver-geode] Geode LX video testing results

Gideon Romm gideon at symbio-technologies.com
Mon Dec 31 11:44:24 PST 2007

Well, I believe (correct me if I am wrong) in X.org 1.3, if there is
not xorg.conf, for example, it will do the equivalent of an X
-configure (ie, probe DDC) followed by using the equivalent of X
-config (ie, use DDC).  What I seem to be uncovering is that on these
systems that freeze, the emulator code (which is roughly the same in
GeodeProbeDDC() and GeodeDoDDC()) makes it through without freezing on
the first call.  It is the *second* call into the emulator in the DDC
function that causes the freeze.

I believe most of us exploring this have been booting to a console and
executing by hand:
X -configure
X -config <config_file>

..and we would see the freeze in X -configure and not even be able to
execute X -config.

I patched the driver to just return TRUE in GeodeProbeDDC(), and the
result was, I could successfully run X -configure, but then X -config
would freeze.

Now, I do believe both GeodeProbeDDC() and GeodeDoDDC() run on an X
-configure call, no?
So, the fact that I in effect am only running one of them, makes the
emulator succeed.  But, when I go and run a followup X -config, it
fails.

Do I have all of my facts straight, or is only Probe run in an X
-configure and not Do?

I don't want to jump to conclusions here.

Thx,

-Gadi