[Xorg-driver-geode] Geode LX video testing results

Gideon Romm gideon at symbio-technologies.com
Sat Dec 29 21:02:25 PST 2007

I have a GeodeROM BIOS GX unit that does NOT freeze.  All General
Software BIOS units DO freeze.

I also want to note that through some additional investigating, I have
discovered that "ddcprobe" does NOT freeze my General Software units.
A look at ddcprobe's source code reveals that it, too, makes calls to
vm86, so there is at least some ddc code that does not freeze those
units.

Also, note that in the absence of the amd driver in the X.org drivers
directory, X -configure will NOT freeze the units.  Perhaps vesa does
not execute DDC?

Also, I have looked at some other drivers, and, as Jordan has
mentioned in the past, the GeodeDoDDC() function is identical to other
drivers' DDC functions.  One thought I had is that I notice the amd
driver also has a GeodeProbeDDC() function that executes before
GeodeDoDDC() and makes roughly the same function calls into the X
server.  I wonder if perhaps this earlier function, which also uses
X's emulator, leaves the system in a state in which the second call
into the emulator makes it go crazy.  I know this is a stretch, but on
Monday I plan to test compiling the code with GeodeProbeDDC() simply
returning true and see if the freeze persists.

I will update the list with the results there, as well.

-Gadi