Radeon HD 6530D crashing Xorg with a CentOS 6.6 kernel

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Wed Dec 24 17:58:57 PST 2014

On 24.12.2014 22:26, Darby Vicker wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 24, 2014 at 12:50 AM, Michel Dänzer <michel at daenzer.net> wrote:

>>> Sure - attached.
>>
>> I can't see any graphics driver related problem in
>> Xorg.0.log.centos6.6.stock.gz; the X server seems to start up and shut
>> down cleanly.
>>
>> Why do you think the graphics drivers crash? Maybe the problem is on the
>> client side, e.g. related to gdm or the login manager you're using.
>
> I should be more specific about the problem.  The problem occurs at
> the point where the boot splash screen transitions to when (I assume)
> X starts and the login screen comes up.  When I boot the CentOS 6.6
> kernel, the screen just goes black and shortly after that the monitor
> goes to sleep with a "No signal" message.  The virtual terminals (e.g.
> cntl-alt-F2) don't work at that point either.  I was assuming that
> since the Xorg ABI has changed between the CentOS 6.5 and 6.6 release,
> it was very likely that the problem was related to Xorg.

If there was a Xorg ABI issue, you could see in the Xorg log file that
the driver fails to load.

> Do you have any suggestions for isolating the problem?  I'm not sure what else to
> try.  I did also try a boot to single user mode with the 6.6 kernel
> and then did a "startx".  My thought was to try to start X with
> minimal other services started to see if something else was
> interfering with X.  But the same thing happens - the screen goes
> blank and the monitor goes to sleep.  Any other suggestions are
> welcomed.

If you boot the 6.5 kernel, does it still work with the same userspace
that shows the problem with the 6.6 kernel? If so, it sounds like
there's just some regression in the 6.6 kernel. Maybe there's something
in dmesg, or maybe you can try isolating the change between the 6.5 and
6.6 kernels which caused the regression.