Latest radeon driver with 7670M

Vedran Furač vedran.furac at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 15:35:10 PDT 2013

Hello,

On 24.09.2013 22:18, Alex Deucher wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 3:31 PM, Vedran Furač <vedran.furac at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Fglrx 2D is dead slow for me so I'm wondering if my 7670M (Turks on Dell
>> 5520 laptop, hybrid with Intel) is supported with latest 7.2 free Radeon
>> driver. I've spent few hours googling with no luck. I'll really
>> appreciate any help to get this working. Seems it's not detecting any
>> outputs, but I have an external LCD connected via hdmi along with
>> laptop's lvds1. With default xorg.conf I'm getting:
>>

> Remove your xorg.conf.  The radeon has no displays attached to it.  So
> it can only be used for rendering.  You have to use the intel driver
> for driving your displays.  If you have a recent enough kernel and
> xserver 1.14 or newer, you can use the radeon for rendering while the
> intel driver handles the displays.  See this page for how to handle
> this:

Thanks, that did the trick. Here's a reference for others if needed:

Xorg.conf:

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Radeon"
    Driver         "radeon"
    BusId          "PCI:1:0:0"
    Screen         1
    Option    "AccelMethod"   "glamor"  # Doesn't seem to be used
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier              "Intel"
        Driver                  "intel"
        BusId                   "PCI:0:2:0"
        Screen                  0
        Option "AccelMethod"   "sna" # Unsure if this works
EndSection

# lsmod|grep radeon
radeon                694017  2

$ xrandr --setprovideroffloadsink radeon Intel

$ xrandr --listproviders
Providers: number : 2
Provider 0: id: 0x77 cap: 0xb, Source Output, Sink Output, Sink Offload
crtcs: 3 outputs: 4 associated providers: 1 name:Intel

Provider 1: id: 0x50 cap: 0xf, Source Output, Sink Output, Source
Offload, Sink Offload crtcs: 1 outputs: 0 associated providers: 1
name:radeon

$ DRI_PRIME=0 glxinfo|grep OpenGL
OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ivybridge Mobile
OpenGL core profile version string: 3.1 (Core Profile) Mesa 9.2.0
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 1.40
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile extensions:
OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 9.2.0

$ DRI_PRIME=1 glxinfo|grep OpenGL
OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD TURKS
OpenGL core profile version string: 3.1 (Core Profile) Mesa 9.2.0
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 1.40
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile extensions:
OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 9.2.0
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30

Now I wonder if it's possible to start display manager and X with
DRI_PRIME=1? Or that doesn't make sense?

Regards,
Vedran