radeonsi glamor segfault

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Wed Mar 27 04:49:12 PDT 2013

On Mit, 2013-03-27 at 04:27 +0400, Igor Vagulin wrote:
> On 26.03.2013 20:47, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> >> [   475.141] (II) RADEON(0): Creating default Display subsection in Screen section
> > Any particular reason you're trying to use depth 16? glamor can't handle
> > that yet AFAICT.
> No, no reason. I once had savage3d video card, it was faster in 16bpp
> :). Maybe it make sense to add hint for guys with savage3d experience.

I pushed a change to xf86-video-ati Git to bail gracefully instead of
crashing.

> X-server works fine in 32bpp, google earth rotates smoothly. Thank you.

No worries, glad to hear it's working.

>      - mplayer with vdpau -vo. Text over video (time/subtitles) is broken.

Fix posted for review:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/mesa-dev/2013-March/036772.html

>      - when I press <login>->logout in xfce panel. 'X' process start to
> eat 100% cpu. It should show greyed out screen with buttons. I tried to
> get oprofile (attached) but it is very ugly.

In such cases I usually find it more useful to attach gdb to the process
hogging the CPU and trace its execution. Looks like XFCE is hitting an
extremely slow path in glamor, but it does finish eventually for me.
Probably file a bug against glamor.

>      - many gtkperf tests is slower than exa(I believe means shadowfb?).
> For example GtkDrawingArea-Text is 12,44 sec vs 3.08 sec. I can get
> oprofile if needed.

FWIW, I find data from perf or sysprof much more useful than oprofile.
But the CPU might not be the bottleneck for this anyway, it's generally
very hard to beat shadowfb across the board.

> BTW I tried newer xorg-server: 1.13.1, 1.14.0 - no luck. X-server
> crashes on start. Xorg.log of 1.14 attached.

The "glamoregl" module needs to be pre-loaded (along with "dri2") from
Section "Module". glamor ships a xorg.conf.d snippet for this. Current
xf86-video-ati Git catches this more gracefully.

--
Earthling Michel Dänzer           |                   http://www.amd.com