KMS generates kernel oops on PowerPC hardware not Apple with RadeonHD 4xxx and 6xxx

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Thu Feb 7 01:03:26 PST 2013

On Mit, 2013-02-06 at 23:31 +0100, mario at locati.it wrote:

> I'm having problems using a KMS enabled kernel 3.4.x with RadeonHD on
> a PowerPC 32 platform (NOT an Apple hardware).
>
> The kernel always hung with a "Machine check in kernel mode".
> I've compiled the DRM a module and enabled the KMS, then put all the
> required radeon firmware files in "/lib/firmware/radeon".
> I must admit that I'm not an advanced Linux user,only trying my best.
>
> Attached below two typical kernel logs grabbed from the serial port.
>
> My system is the ACube Sam460ex, with a CPU AMCC 460ex, an embedded
> PowerPC 32 CPU.
> Here the mother board description:
> http://www.acube-systems.biz/index.php?page=hardware&pid=5
>
> The board uses U-Boot as a boot loader:
> http://www.denx.de/wiki/U-Boot
>
> Sadly the mother board producer does not support Linux, so no help at
> all from them.
>
> Please, have a look at my web page about my attempt of using Linux on
> Sam460ex:
> http://www.locati.it/mario/sam460/squeeze/
>
> Another Sam460ex user rised a similar problem a year ago here in the
> list:
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dri-devel/2012-February/018792.html

In
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dri-devel/2012-February/019181.html Ben mentioned some patches which would be needed for your board. Unfortunately, I've never seen those patches in any form. You should probably ask Ben and Tony about them.

--
Earthling Michel Dänzer           |                   http://www.amd.com