improved swap/MSC-wait scheduling in DPMS-off state

Ilija Hadzic ilijahadzic at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 19:50:51 PDT 2013

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 12:01 PM, Michel Dänzer <michel at daenzer.net> wrote:

> On Die, 2013-04-30 at 17:34 +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> > On Die, 2013-04-30 at 10:31 -0400, Ilija Hadzic wrote:
> > > On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 5:16 AM, Michel Dänzer <michel at daenzer.net>
> > > wrote:
> > >         On Son, 2013-04-28 at 16:07 -0400, Ilija Hadzic wrote:
> > >         >
> > >         > The end result is that regardless in which state the display
> > >         is, the
> > >         > application sees the events (time and sequence numbers) that
> > >         progress
> > >         > as if the CRTC is running and the events happen at right
> > >         time points
> > >         > on the grid determined by the vlbanks (real or
> > >         interpolated).
> > >

> > >         Indeed, looks like DPMS off no longer has any effect on piglit
> > >         results. :) Thanks for working on this.
> > >

> > > Forgive me if this question is going to make me look dumb, but given
> > > that piglit is a rendering test suite, the behavior you are seeing is
> > > expected. In other words, you are not implying that something is
> > > wrong, are you?
> >
> > Indeed, I'm not. piglit has a few GLX tests, some of which could
> > previously fail when the monitor was in DPMS off state. Your series
> > fixes that.
>
> Hmm, now I've seen some issues with some glx/GLX_OML_sync_control/ tests
> again even with your patches. Maybe the CRTC went off while those tests
> were running, and that isn't handled quite correctly yet. Can you look
> into that?
>
> --
> Earthling Michel Dänzer           |                   http://www.amd.com
> Libre software enthusiast         |          Debian, X and DRI developer

Is this the kind of error you are seeing?

        "glx/GLX_OML_sync_control/waitformsc": {
                "info": "Returncode: 0\n\nErrors:\nglXWaitForMscOML()
returned msc of 184744, expected >= 216181\n\n\nOutput:\n",
                "errors": [
                    "glXWaitForMscOML() returned msc of 184744, expected >=
216181"
                ],
                "returncode": 0,
                "command":
"/home/ihadzic/git_sandbox/piglit/framework/../bin/glx-oml-sync-control-waitformsc
-auto -fbo",
                "result": "warn",
                "time": 0.11738109588623047
            },