X1600 Mobility KMS/dynpm not working

Dan Curran daniel.m.curran at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 20:29:13 PST 2012

Hi everyone,

Recently installed Linux on my Macbook Pro (2,2), which has an X1600
Mobility card inside it.

Everything has gone good so far, with the exception of power
management for the graphics card. It would appear that there are no
dynamic power management options in sysfs available:

localhost ~ # uname -r
3.2.1-gentoo-r2
localhost ~ # cd /sys/class/drm/card0/device/
localhost device # ls
 ... msi_bus power rescan ...

As such, the GPU clocks stay at maximum settings, impacting battery
life, and spinning the fans at high speeds at all times. (Also related
- I'm unable to probe the temperature of the card)

After searching through the internet, I've come to the conclusion that
either I've mis-configured my kernel (which I'm increasingly less
inclined to believe), or Apple have left the work of power management
to their driver, and left it out of the vbios, causing the Linux
driver to not function properly.

Does anybody have any suggestions what I can try to make it work? I'm
a reasonable C programmer too, so any changes that I may need to make,
I'll be happy to contribute to the project.

Thanks,