Six screens from two HD5850s

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 07:51:30 PST 2011

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 8:43 AM, Richard Palmer
<richard.d.palmer at kcl.ac.uk> wrote:
> Dear list,
>
>        I'd like to drive six screens (projectors actually) using two HD5850s,
>        should this be possible with the current driver code ?. I only need
>        2D at the moment, so should I set them up in crossfire configuration?.
>        I understand xrandr 1.3 doesn't handle multiple cards, so presumably
>        I will just need to manually configure xorg.conf as in the good/bad
>        old days (Using Xinerama to join the screens together into one
>        desktop)?.
>
>        Any example xorg.confs would be very helpful.
>
>        (I'm using the 4 DVI outputs and the two DisplayPort outputs with
>        active adaptors to convert to HDMI).

This should work with kms, although 3D does not work with xinerama and
it will require a xinerama xorg.conf.  You'll need a separate device
and screen section for each head and each device associated with a
particular card needs to to have the proper busid of the card.

Alex