HDMI audio on HD 2600 not working

Xavier Bestel xavier.bestel at free.fr
Sun Jan 9 01:06:46 PST 2011

Hi,

I've just bought an (used) HDMI audio amp (Yamaha RX-V1600) and tried to
connect it to my HTPC (pc running XBMC, debian/squeeze using
xserver-xorg-video-radeon 1:6.13.1-2+squeeze1 + kernel 2.6.37-rc7-amd64,
with a Radeon RH 2600), via a DVI-to-HDMI cable. There are 2 cables
running from the card, one to the amp, an other one to a monitor.

The problem is that I can't hear anything on the amp. Here are the
outputs on the machine:
[root at awak:~]$ aplay -l
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Here's how I try to play something:
[root at awak:~]$ aplay -D hw:1,3 /usr/share/sounds/shutdown1.wav
Playing WAVE '/usr/share/sounds/shutdown1.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Stereo
Warning: rate is not accurate (requested = 44100Hz, got = 48000Hz)
         please, try the plug plugin

... which does nothing (note that I don't fully dismiss the possibility
I could have misconfigured that complex beast of an amp). I don't care
too much about the wrong rate for now.

When reading the apm's documentation, they say the HDMI device has to
support HDCP. Could that be the problem ? Is there something to
configure somewhere to have that activated ?

Thanks,

	Xav