extended information for "possible BIOS bug"

Zsombor Varga zsombi1990 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 7 09:06:45 PDT 2010

My name is Zsombor Varga,

my computer is an Asus K52Jr laptop.

The day before yesterday, I was reading a pdf document, I leaved the computer (didn't turned off, didn't closed the lid) for about 10-15 minutes and when I got back to it, the computers lid was shut off (it was weird because I turned off all power management options regarding turning off the lid); then I tried to do something, to type something, it didn't worked, not even the mouse or the touch pad, nothing. I restarted it and it worked normally.

Yesterday while reading some doc file, suddenly the lid shut off, and again I couldn't do anything. I restarted the computer, the grub was full of white dots, when tried to log in the log in screen was full of lines and dots, the windows froze down. I restarted the computer, and the same thing happened (tried to log in, but the computer froze down); then tried to cut off from any power supply, even plugged out the battery from the computer, when I turned it on, the same thing happened.

After that, when I restarted the computer, I selected the secondary operating system (Open Suse). That worked flawlessly. In the console I checked the kernel messages using the dmesg command, and found this message:

"DDC: no ddc bus - possible BIOS bug - please report to xorg-driver-ati at lists.x.org"

If more system information is required, I can send that too.
Please help.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Zsombor Varga.