ati driver with KMS under debian sid : 15x slower and questions

giggz giggzounet at gmail.com
Sun May 30 05:49:13 PDT 2010

Hi,

I'm running under debian sid up to date. But with a 2.6.34 compiled with
KMS support.

with xserver-xorg-video-ati version 1:6.13.0-2 glxgears gives : 166.882 FPS
with 6.12.6-1 I got around 2400 FPS.

So it really slow now. When a programm takes CPU, I can't do anything
under X (I have e17). Is it a regression from the driver or is the
transition not achieved ? How can I modify my xorg.conf in order to get
more FPS ?

Others questions :

- I have seen in the changelog that exa is now enabled by default. But
when I start X XAA is used. I have to write
Option		"AccelMethod"	"EXA"
in order to get EXA (when I enable EXA it doesn't change anything for
the FPS.)

- I'm using radeonfb with the grub line :
video=radeonfb:ywrap,mtrr,1400x1050
could this line have an influence on the ati xorg driver performances ?

Thx a lot,
Best regards,
Guillaume