Concerning the 3D Rage IIc card

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Tue May 4 00:07:48 PDT 2010

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 2:27 AM,  <hosadeeb at aim.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm using the above mentioned card on an old Pentium III machine, with the
> newest Mandriva 2010.0 distro, regularly updated.  Now, the problem is that
> the same hardware configuration worked rather optimally upto x.org included
> in Mandriva 2007, but not the current one.  I'm not using the automatically
> selected driver (Mach-64), instead I opted for the x.org ati driver.  Still,
> video is appreciably slower than before, especially with films.
>
> I would appreciate if you could possibly provide me with, maybe, some tweaks
> or adjustments ...
>
> Many thanks in anticipation.

'ati' is just a wrapper that loads the appropriate module for your
chip: mach64, r128, or radeon.  So, it doesn't matter whether you
specify ati or mach64, you end up with the same driver (mach64).  As
to the performance, I don't know.  No one has touched the mach64
driver in ages.  It could be your new desktop environment is just more
demanding than your old one.