R600, S-Video TV out for PAL, and horizontal rolling

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Sat Jun 26 14:44:26 PDT 2010

On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 1:14 PM, Dimitris Lampridis
<dlampridis at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 6:34 PM, Alex Deucher <alexdeucher at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 12:24 PM, Dimitris Lampridis
>> <dlampridis at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Sorry for coming back so late with a reply, but I had to leave the
>>> whole TV out problem aside for some time.
>>>
>>> I tried hard to figure this out. So far, I found one indication that
>>> TV out on PAL used to work:
>>> http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6281
>>>
>>> There, it is mentioned that in December 2007, Alex Deucher submitted a
>>> patch that fixed some problems with PAL TV out, and a number of users
>>> reported success after that.
>>>
>>> I had a look at the git history, and they obviously refer to commit
>>> 2b1fae668ddabbc72e5fc31365302ea722174df1 "fix PAL tv-out", submitted
>>> on 26 Dec 2007.
>>>
>>> I also had a look at the changes applied to the radeon_tv.c file after
>>> this particular commit. Some of the PAL related lines did change but,
>>> as far as I can tell, not in a way that would break the fix introduced
>>> in 2007.
>>>
>>> So, I'm stuck again, but at least I know now that PAL TV out used to
>>> work. Any further ideas?
>>
>> That commit referred to pre-avivo cards. For r5xx+ cards, try
>> xf86-video-ati 6.13.0.
>>
> I was using the 6.13.0, now I'm using latest from master branch of
> git, also got KMS working nicely, but TV out is always out of
> (horizontal) sync.

Is your tv standard set correctly?  Note that the xrandr attribute for
tv standard with kms is "tv standard"
xrandr --output DIN --set "tv standard" pal
Also, if you are using kms, make sure you have at least kernel 2.6.34
as pal tv out was broken with kms in earlier versions.