ATI Rage Mobility P/M - Mach64 kernel module source - is it available anywhere?

Chris Jones cjns1989 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 00:43:54 PST 2010

$ lspci | grep VGA

[..] ATI Technologies Inc Rage Mobility P/M AGP 2x (rev 64)

I have unsuccessfully attempted to enable direct rendering for this card
on a number of occasions over the last 3-4 years.

I decided to give it another try last weekend and saw the following in
Xorg.0.log:

| [drm] failed to load kernel module "mach64"
| (EE) [drm] drmOpen failed.
| (EE) MACH64(0): [dri] DRIScreenInit Failed

Indeed, I do not have this module on debian 'lenny'.

I found a couple of well-documented posts relative to this issue, which
indicate that the source was recently removed from the mesa/drm tree at
anongit.freedesktop.org and is now available in the kernel tree under
drivers/gpu/drm directory.

Since I did no see anything with a file name such as mach64.c in this
directory, I was wondering if the source was available anywhere at this
point in time, and if not, if there are any plans to reinstate it.

Thanks,

CJ