Problems with ati driver on Tibook

John R. Dunning jrd at jrd.org
Mon Jan 4 10:56:51 PST 2010

    From: Alex Deucher <alexdeucher at gmail.com>
    Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 13:48:33 -0500

    2010/1/4 John R. Dunning <jrd at jrd.org>:
    >    From: Alex Deucher <alexdeucher at gmail.com>
    >    Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 13:17:32 -0500
    >
    >    Right, but the current code in the xorg driver has been there for
    >    years and works as well for most systems,
    >
    > Wierd.
    >
    > I really wish I hadn't lost the old disk from this machine, I'd love
    > to know what version of the driver I'd been using earlier.  I don't
    > think it was any older than about last spring, which implies that it
    > should have had the same bug.

    well, really old versions of the xf86-video-ati driver used to use the
    kernel radeonfb driver for modesetting on ppc; the ddx only handled
    acceleration.  Depending on how old your system was, that might have
    been the case.

I doubt it.  This is all gentoo, so everything's perilously close to
the bleeding edge.  You can't look sideways at it without it dragging
in newer versions of things :-}

I remember pinning a few X related things (to keep them from getting
too new to be safe) last spring/summer, but no longer ago than that.

Oh well, it doesn't really matter, bug identified and worked around,
onward.