New monitor, pink vertical line and crazy screen resolution with Evergreen + KMS

Dave Witbrodt dawitbro at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 27 06:22:38 PST 2010

Dave Witbrodt wrote:
[...]
> I bought a new monitor, which arrived this week, and found that I am
> getting a pink vertical line on the left side of the screen from top to
> bottom.  It is only a few pixels wide, probably 2 pixels (see below).
> The line is not present during POST/BIOS, GRUB, and early kernel boot;
> it appears when radeondrmfb kicks in, and is present in virtual
> terminals and X alike.  The line does not appear in screenshots, so it
> is not actually screen corruption, but likely a problem setting the mode
> correctly for the new monitor.
[...]
> The next items on my list are:
>
> A)  Try booting with "radeon.modeset=0".  [Simple idea, but it didn't
> occur to me until just now.]

Adding "radeon.modeset=0" solves the problem.  Of course, I prefer
KMS... so the cure seems worse than the disease!

I'll be pulling the HD 5750 shortly and trying the HD 4850, to see if
there are differences in behavior.

The diff between Xorg.0.log with and without KMS looks interesting.  I'm
attaching both versions in the hope that an easy fix is revealed to the
eyes of a developer.

Thanks,
Dave W.