Evergreen success story!

Dave Witbrodt dawitbro at sbcglobal.net
Sun Feb 21 06:46:01 PST 2010

Alex Deucher wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 10:57 PM, Dave Witbrodt <dawitbro at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
[...]
>> I tried a week ago, and when I got black screens I gave up too quickly
>> and pulled the HD 5750, replacing it with my slightly older HD 4850.
>> This time I also got a black screen, but (as before) Windows Vista works
>> perfectly, so I know the hardware is not defective.
>>
>> As it turns out, I use a KVM device that allows me to switch between 4
>> machines using Dsub VGA connectors.  There are no VGA connectors on this
>> HD 5750, so I was using a DVI-to-Dsub converter that came with the card
>> so I could continue to switch between machines.  After logging in via
>> SSH, and making sure I saved 'dmesg' and 'Xorg.0.log', I thought about
>> that converter possibly messing up the situation.
>>
>> I turned the monitor off, plugged in a DVI cable, and rebooted.  Voila!
>>  Working KMS!  No acceleration, of course, but I'm just glad to see the
>> ball toward open source Evergreen support starting to roll!  Switching
>> between X and VT works fine, as well.  And (unlike last week) I am
>> getting the proper 1920x1200 resolution for my monitor.
>>
> KVMs are always trouble.  If you use one, your best bet is to force an
> X configuration via config file as they often prevent the driver from
> detecting any outputs.  The UMS driver lights up one of the ports if
> nothing is detected, you just happened to get lucky that it lit up the
> right port for you, with KMS, we don't.

My KVM worked fine with KMS + HD 4850.  There must be features missing
in the Evergreen KMS compared to the support for earlier devices.

At any rate, using DVI instead of Dsub cured my black screen issues.  I
still use the KVM, but have to manually switch the monitor between Dsub
and DVI.

Thanks,
Dave W.