Obtaining useful info when testing drm-radeon-testing on HD 5750 tomorrow

Dave Witbrodt dawitbro at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 18 21:48:14 PST 2010

Alex Deucher wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 10:03 PM, Dave Witbrodt <dawitbro at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
[...]
>>   Recently, when Phoronix had an article about some initial Evergreen
>> support appearing in the radeon driver and the kernel drm-radeon-testing
>> git tree, I decided to buy a fanless HD 5750.  That arrived several days
>> ago.
>>
>>   I'm looking for the appropriate mailing list to participate in
>> testing the new Evergreen support as it begins to arrive.  So far I have
>> only had the HD 5750 installed long enough to make sure it is
>> functioning properly (spent several hours gaming with it on Vista) in
>> case it needed to be returned.  I built two kernels out of the
>> drm-radeon-testing branch, and would like to share my results.  My X
>> userspace was not new enough, so until I try my next round of
>> experiments this Friday I can only meaningfully discuss the radeondrmfb
>> behavior.
[...]
>>   This list is for xf86-video-radeon, but I see a thread about HD 5830
>> support here, so I thought I'd ask first.  Where is the best place for
>> me to post results (and kudos) for the people working on Evergreen support?
>
> You've come to the right list.

I plan to reinstall the 5750 card in the morning.  This time, if I get
black screens again, I will use SSH to obtain 'dmesg' and 'Xorg.0.log'
output.

Does the kernel DRM take advantage of kernel debugging features at all?
  Would passing kernel parameters such as "debug" and "initcall_debug"
be of any value?  Or any other options.

What about debugging options in xorg.conf?  I traditionally use
"ModeDebug," but don't really know of anything that might be more useful
in xorg.conf.

Dave W.