Radeon driver in 1.4 breaks dualhead on Thinkpad with RV250

Martin Cracauer cracauer at cons.org
Mon Feb 15 14:26:52 PST 2010

Alex Deucher wrote on Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 11:47:47AM -0500:
> On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 11:10 AM, Martin Cracauer <cracauer at cons.org> wrote:
> > I previously reported this to the general Xorg list, but since then I
> > checked that things work normally with other X11 servers of the same
> > version and no ATI driver, so I thought I re-post here.
> >
> > Basically, when I went and updated my RV250 equipped Thinkpad to Xorg
> > 1.4.2 (from what identifies itself as 7.0.0), the internal LCD refuses
> > to work in dual-head with the VGA output. ?From the Xorg.0.log output
> > it looks like the Radeon/ATI driver incorrectly assumes it's talking
> > to DVI, not LVDS.
> >
> > Cross-checking with the output when starting just the LCD
> > single-headed (which works fine) I see what I think is confirmation,
> > in that in that case RADEON(0) properly iterates through LVDS,
> > S-video, DVI and VGA-0.
> >
> > In the dual-head config the driver insist on only trying DVI (the
> > computer doesn't have a DVI output plug) and subsequently only comes
> > up with a single screen, on the VGA, and the LCD stays blank.
> >

> The DVI port is on the docking station.  This is the problem with
> zaphod mode, it assumes one connector per screen but when the system
> has 4 connectors which ones do you associate with the each zaphod
> instance?

My question is simply how do I select one for each screen?

I tried everything in xorg.conf that looked like I can associate
outputs with screens.

But it never changed anything about the end result, which is the first
screen just disappeared and I only got the VGA output.

Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer at cons.org>   http://www.cons.org/cracauer/