white stripe on a wider terminal in dual screen mode

Aljaž Prusnik prusnik at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 13:12:51 PST 2010

On Sat, 2010-02-06 at 14:49 -0500, Alex Deucher wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 5:23 AM, Aljaž Prusnik <prusnik at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi there!
> >
> > I posted this on IRC but will do here as well until I know whether I
> > should file a bug or not.
> >
> > In terminal mode (with KMS) and dual screen (left monitor: 1920x1200,
> > right monitor 1600x1200) I have a white stripe on the left monitor and
> > it looks like if it's a compensation for the missing 320 pixels of the
> > right monitor. The picture is here:
> > http://www.tikataka.com/files/dualscreen_low.JPG
> >
> > Is this a known issue?
> >

> This is not a driver bug, it is a limitation of the kernel framebuffer
> and console interfaces.  They don't have any concept of multi-head
> cards.  In order to prevent any information printed to the console
> from being lost, the console comes up as the largest size that will
> fit on all attached monitors.  If you want a more flexible use the
> monitors, you'll need to use the kms interface like the X driver does.

Thanx for the info. I'm not sure I understand the last sentence nor I'm
sure I'll ever need such thing it's only the white color that is a
little annoying, hence another question - is there a chance for the
"missing space" to not be white (and be black)? Is this something they
can do in that kernel framebuffer or do they need the white color to
catch the potentially lost stuff?

Aljaz