Problem with R500 (Radeon X1600)

Bryan Wang bryan.wango at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 09:53:02 PDT 2009

Greetings,

I have an ATI Radeon X1600, running CentOS 5.4.  The boot-up graphics
seem to work OK on my console but when it's time to show the login
screen, I seem to get no video out of either the VGA or DVI port.  And
another funny thing is that the terminal seems to be "frozen", I
cannot do anything from it.  While it's busy displaying black screens,
the X process takes up the entire CPU.  I was able to ssh into the
system and "fix" it by editing xorg.conf.

Apologies if this is something I should have known how to fix myself.
In the meantime, specifying the "vesa" driver instead of "r500" seems
to work.  It'd be nice if I could use ATI driver though.  If this is
the right place to send this kind of report, I can also send my
Xorg.0.log and xorg.conf files, if they would be helpful.

Thanks,
-bryan