Flash performance on radeon driver (Fedora 11)

Richard Wilbur richard.wilbur at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 16:25:55 PDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-09-01 at 09:34 +0100, planetf1 wrote:
> On 01/09/09 07:26, Clemens Eisserer wrote:
>
> > No idea why the flash plugin uses 90% cpu for fullscreen playback, and
> > mplayer plays exactly the same file only using10%.
> >
> > After all,I prefer Ogg Theora a lot over all those closed codecs.
>
> Agree completely, but at least here in the UK a number of the major
> broadcasters, for example the BBC, have settled on flash for their
> streaming, and "catch-up" TV services.
>
> Most people I know find this seriously one of those "killer apps". I'm
> able to watch on my Nokia N96 phone, Nintendo WII and 2 Windows PC (one
> 2 years old, the other about 6-7 years old), but sadly not on my 3yr old
> linux laptop.
>
> At work I know colleagues who cite this as one reason they can't switch
> to linux. Now as a sw engineer and *nix user for around 23 years I find
> it a superb platform for my day job, but I can understand why this is
> also an issue
>
> I wish adobe had a more efficient implementation.
>
> Nigel.

Dear Nigel, Clemens, et al,

A number of us agree with you:  we wish adobe had a more efficient,
user-friendly, robust, and free(libre) implementation.  The Free
Software Foundation agreed that this is an issue for folks thinking of
freeing their computers so they made a free implementation #2 on their
list of "High Priority Free Software Projects"[1].  The resulting
project is a part of the GNU project and as such has been hosted on
their Savannah servers[2].

The "Gnash" project[3] is actively developing this replacement, supports
many architectures besides i386, builds and runs under a number of
otherwise unsupported operating systems[4], and best of all is a
free(libre) implementation[5].

Anyone interested in contributing to the progress of this development
effort[6] is encouraged to join the developers mailing list[7], branch
the main source repository on to your local machine[8], read the
wiki[9], and have fun improving a free software implementation that is
under active development[10]!  We could use the help.

Sincerely,

Richard