Multiple monitors

Rafał Miłecki zajec5 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 11:11:09 PDT 2009

2009/10/5 Paul van der Vlis <paul at vandervlis.nl>:
> I would like to use multiple monitors. I use Asus M4A78 PRO mainboards
> with AMD 780G/SB700 chipset and integrated Radeon HD 3200 Graphics.
> This mainboard has a VGA and a DVI port. Can I use that for dual screens
> with OSS drivers?

Google for xrandr. Note that for not KMS you will probably need to
specify Virtual size. For example for two monitors:
1024*768 and 800*600, one by one horizontally you will need to
manually specify virtual size:
height = max(768, 600) = 1024
width = 1024 + 800 = 1824
As I said, Google for it :)

> When I add a PCIe card with HD 3450 chipset I cannot use the integrated
> graphics anymore. In the manual they tell about "surround view". Is this
> possible with OSS drivers?
>
> I am interested in multi-seat systems too.
> Do you know about setups for multi-seat systems with ATI/AMD and OSS
> drivers?
>
> I would like to have hardware accelerated 2D. What version of X/kernel
> do I need as a minimum?

kernel 2.6.31 or newer, suggested X server is 1.7, as it contains some
improvements to EXA. However 1.6 will also work fine.

--
Rafał