Problem with xv on RV500

Christian P. Schmidt schmidt at digadd.de
Sun Mar 29 16:22:21 PDT 2009

Hello devels,

I do have a major issue with driver version 6.12.1 on x86-64, running X
1.5.3.

The problem: Running enlightenment DR17 as the Window Manager one can
"roll up" a window into its titlebar. If that window happens to be a
mplayer video window using the xv output driver there is a high
probability of things going awry - X uses 100-180% CPU (Dual Core
Laptop), the mouse only moves sporadically, keyboard input is not
accepted any more.

Logging into the machine via ssh I observed the high CPU, and killed,
one after the other, mplayer, enlightenment and X. All that was left in
the end was a process called [X] that ignored the KILL signal and gave
me permission denied when I tried to strace it as root. This process
constantly consumed 100% CPU until a reboot.

This is surely related to xv (resizing the active window to zero?) as
there is no problem using just x11 as the video output driver in mplayer.

Regards,
Christian