Powerplay support/workaround for R7xx

unggnu unggnu at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 24 01:12:09 PDT 2009

Hi,

I have tested the new radeon 6.12.1 driver with my Radeon HD 4870 and it
works great. No more tearing with xv or constant crashes/bugs like with
the fglrx driver. It is so impressive what you all have achieved in such
a short period. I thought I have to stay with the fglrx mess for much
longer.
But there is one big problem which nearly makes using of the free driver
impossible. 4870 have a very noisy fan if Powerplay isn't supported. I
have changed the firmware of my card to only use 500 MHZ instead of 750
for the gpu all the time and a lower voltage but it is still loud while
much more quiet (like an old computer) than without the change. And of
course this change isn't good for gaming under Win.
I guess that Powerplay doesn't only scale down to 500 MHZ but also
disables some shader units or something like that.
Anyway is it possible with the free driver to enter this energy saving
mode or is there a workaround? With it you nearly can't hear the card if
you don't use 3d games.
Btw. I don't really understand why there is still a separate free driver
project when your driver seems to support newer Ati cards better than
the radeonhd one. You should all work together imho.

Thanks in advance, especially for your great work
unggnu