BEGIN_RING/ADVANCE_RING errors in Xorg log

Christiaan van Dijk dvbmail at xs4all.nl
Sun Mar 15 06:45:58 PDT 2009

Hi,

after the integration of the R600 functions my xorg log is being flooded
with the following messages:

(EE) RADEON(0): BEGIN_RING without end at radeon_accel.c:860
(EE) RADEON(0): ADVANCE_RING without begin at radeon_accel.c:883

I'm using an RS690. The messages occur during video playback, one
message for each frame. After some more study I found the messages
originated from RADEONCopyMungedData called from RADEONPutImageTextured.
I checked the changes introduced with the R600 adoptions and finally
found the problem was introduced by the RADEONCP_REFRESH "calls" in
RADEONCPFlushIndirect and RADEONCPReleaseIndirect. Moving the "calls" to
the R600 specific part fixed the error messages for me.

I've attached a patch with this change. The one question left for me is
if the behavior with the "call" can be explained or if this is just
showing a problem somewhere else in the code.

Regds,
Christiaan van Dijk.