Black screen when running OpenGL app (non-locking)

Nicolai Hähnle nhaehnle at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 00:47:16 PDT 2009

Am Saturday 11 July 2009 21:04:26 schrieb Ancoron Luciferis:
> Hi there,
>
> I just have upgraded my radeon driver using the xorg-edgers PPA from git
> master commit
>
> f39cafc5c4a93a16ac93756473ebb1f33c7881db (2009/06/29)

> 43db263d301082e84e9bc304816bcbb206fe280e (2009/07/09)
>
> on an AMD64 Kubuntu Jaunty with an X1950XTX.

Perhaps a 64 bit bug?

> After every driver update I run some manual tests. The first thing I
> encountered was that using the KDE4 wobbly window effect it is really
> slow in the beginning. After moving around a window for some seconds it
> gets much smoother but not really smooth.
>
> But that is not the real issue. The next thing I tested was glxgears.
> But when I run it the screen (both monitors of my dual-head CRT setup)
> go blank (but not off) and it stays black until I press <ESC> or
> terminate the glxgears process in another way. As long as the mouse
> cursor is hardware processed I can still see it (yes, on the black
> screen) and when moving around it changes accordingly. When glxgears is
> terminated the screen comes back within a fraction of a second and all
> things behave like before.
>
> The same issue happens with all applications that open an OpenGL
> context. There is nothing about that in Xorg.0.log but the same issue
> appears also in XFCE so it it not a WM problem.
>

> What can cause that issue?

Since it happens with OpenGL applications, it is possible that it is caused
not by a change in xf86-video-ati, but by a change in mesa. It would be
helpful if you could

a) Try old xf86-video-ati with old mesa and vice versa.
b) Once you know which one of it is to blame, it would be extremely helpful if
you could git bisect.

Finally, are you running with KMS?

cu,
Nicolai