Output order on Radeon X1950 [patch]

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 11:11:15 PDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 1:43 PM, Jörg Walter <jwalt at garni.ch> wrote:
> On Tuesday, 21. October 2008, you wrote:
>> The order is arbitrary and changing it would break existing setups.
>> Also, the radeon driver has had randr 1.2 support for much longer than
>> radeonhd or fglrx.
>
> Still, all other drivers, including Windows, agree on "first" vs. "second"
> output connector, regardless of RandR 1.2 or not -- point is, if I switch
> drivers or OS, my primary display suddenly isn't primary anymore, kdm appears
> on the wrong screen, as does the taskbar or yakuake.

Then move the taskbar or kdm to the screen you want it on.  No cable
switching needed.  Gnome at least will even remember how you've
configured things, I'd imagine kde will do so as well.

> Really, should I switch my monitor cables every time I switch from/to radeon
> driver, like after running Windows or maybe using fglrx for a gaming session?

no need to switch cables as I said above.

> IMHO this is far worse breakage than a one-time setup change for a driver that
> claims it is still under development. My patch even avoids renaming devices,

And what if another driver decides to change their order at some point?

> so no setups can break except those that rely on the allegedly arbitrary
> order.

Changing the order will break all existing dualhead layouts that have
been in use for the past couple years requiring all those users to
switch their cables or re-write their configs.