Problem with performance with Composite and dri

Michel Dänzer michel at tungstengraphics.com
Thu May 22 02:12:12 PDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-20 at 11:10 +0000, RafałMużyło wrote:
> Relevant portion of xorg.conf:
> Section "Device"
>         Identifier  "open-radeon"
>         Driver      "radeon"
>         Option          "EnablePageFlip" "true"
>         Option          "AccelDFS" "true"
>         Option          "VGAAccess" "off"
>         Option          "DDCMode" "true"
>         Option          "AccelMethod" "EXA"
> EndSection
> (dri and composite - enabled)
> My problem: program - gvbam (gtk frontend to vbam - on sourceforge)
> With fglrx, I get good framerate with both cairo and opengl output.
> With this driver:
> when dri is enabled:
>   with cairo: system seems to freeze (I'm not talking about framerate, server
> itself gets unresponsive)

Does it recover after killing the application? Same problem without
Option "AccelDFS" or with XAA instead of EXA?

>   with opengl: framerate is very low

Anything interesting in the application output, in particular on stderr?
Does it work better with the environment variable
disable_lowimpact_fallback=true set?

> when dri gets disabled by running second server on display 1:
>   with cairo: framerate is very low (but doesn't seems to freeze)

Most likely it's falling back to software rendering for some operations.

>   with opengl: framerate is good

It's all done by the CPU in this case.