AMD 780G, anyone?

Alexander Sabourenkov screwdriver at lxnt.info
Wed Mar 26 07:12:13 PDT 2008

Magnus Hörlin wrote:
> michael lang wrote:
>> export ACLOCAL="aclocal -I/usr/X11R6/share/aclocal"
>>

> I reinstalled from scratch and managed to compile and get radeon running
> but only on VGA. HDMI was black but everything looked normal in the log
> file (even though it's 240kB) and it could read edid on hdmi. When I
> connected VGA, there was my desktop. Is there any way to force HDMI in
> xorg.xonf or is there something wrong here?

That's most likely VGA output being considered 'main' one.
Please look at the output of 'xrandr' command and the order of outputs
in it. Then please try logging in and out having only one output connected.

I experience same problem with X1600 Pro under Gutsy, if I connect TV to
the S-video port.

Output order is VGA, S-video, DVI and normally only the monitor is
connected to the DVI output.

When I connect a TV to the S-video output and boot or restart X, monitor
does not come up. It appears connected, but without mode selected in
xrandr output. Issuing a command like:

xrandr --output DVI-0 --mode 1280x1024

lights it up, but Gnome desktop, while visible, has dimensions based on
S-video output's mode.

Besides, the TV shows blank blue screen, which means 'no signal'. It
slightly flickers on machine power-up and reboots, but remains steady
blue no matter what modes I set via xrandr.

Another problem is that while XVideo works, minimal amount of moving
and/or resizing mplayer's window locks up the machine hard.

Btw xorg-video-radeonhd has a handy option for reordering outputs, which
  would somewhat mitigate this issue with primary monitor unexpectedly
becoming secondary while we wait for client software to catch up with
xrandr 1.2.

--

./lxnt