Problem with persistent scaling/shifting in RADEONDisplayVideo()

Thomas Hilber xorg-driver-ati at toh.cx
Tue Jul 29 11:43:52 PDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 02:23:09PM +0200, Roland Scheidegger wrote:
> That's true but last I heard CRT TVs are a dying breed.

who cares:)

> Ok, I see your point. But if your output device is a projector, LCD (not
> sure about plasma right now) at some stage deinterlace just has to
> happen somewhere anyway (and the quality of this in a cheap output
> device might be questionable too). Too bad with HDTV you still have to

right. but from my experience recent dedicated hardware deinterlacers
mostly produce better results than their software (PC based) competitors.

> care about deinterlace since 1080i is very common (even though there are
> very few, if any, output devices which would support native interlaced
> display for this mode).

right. The original purpose of my patch was to establish a basis to
synchronize VGA video timing with an external signal source (e.g. a DVB
stream). Otherwise you always will have more or less jerky playback.

The capability to produce fully synchronized interlaced RGB output on a VGA
port is only a pleasant by-product of this.

Cheers
   Thomas