Problem with persistent scaling/shifting in RADEONDisplayVideo()

Thomas Hilber xorg-driver-ati at toh.cx
Tue Jul 29 04:25:25 PDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 08:11:21AM +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-07-29 at 01:43 +0200, Roland Scheidegger wrote:
> > "high quality" and "RGB/PAL" doesn't really fit in the same sentence if
> > you ask me...
>
> Probably nothing beats a good TV when it comes to de-interlacing etc.,
> so it makes sense to preserve the broadcast signal as much as possible.
> I assume that's what 'high quality' refers to in this context.

that's exactly what I wanted to say. Of course our solution can't be
better than RGB-SCART itself.

But until now almost all VGA-based softdecoder solutions had to
deinterlace in software.

What makes not much sense if right after this the VGA CRT controller
re-interlaces the frame again. By doing so considerable CPU power is
wasted for getting even worse picture quality.

As mentioned above here are some further explanations:
http://linuxtv.org/pipermail/vdr/2008-July/017347.html

With my patch we can grab the untouched fields right after the software
decoder and route them straight through to the VGA port.