ATI Radeon Mobile 3470 on Asus M51Se

Jan Olsson jano at dritteln.ac.se
Sun Jul 20 09:07:24 PDT 2008

Hello!

Have been testing to Install OpenSuse 11 on my Asus M51Se but it seems to fail. I
have been testing the newest driver: xf86-video-ati

The problem seems to be the amount of memory in the machine. With only 2 Gb it
works fine but with 3 Gb it fails. When reading the specs the following info is
supplied:  "ATI MobilityTM Radeon® HD 3470, External 256MB VRAM Hyper
Memory up to 512MB with 1G system memory, 1024M with 2G system memory".

I don't now where the bug is but the result is hanged computer with scrambled
graphics when starting gdm. The same seems to happen with the VESA driver but
not with the VGA-driver. Have also tested the xf86-video-radeonhd but that driver is
not showing any graphics at all.

Is there anyone that is running X on a 3470 with more then 2 Gb?

Best wishes!
Janne