x1250 horizontal tearing problems

Michel Dänzer michel at tungstengraphics.com
Wed Apr 30 00:06:52 PDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 16:52 -0400, Alex Deucher wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 4:34 PM, Alex Rades <alerades at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > when playing videos (either in xv or plain x11) on my x1250, I always see
> > horizontal (not diagonal, which are now fixed) tearing problems. They seem
> > related to vertical sync problems. Do you have suggestions?
>
> We need sync to vblank support for textured video to properly deal
> with that.  this untested hack may help, but it's not optimal:
> http://www.botchco.com/alex/xorg/texvid_wait_vsync.diff

Good to see this getting tackled. Here's what I think is missing:

      * Set up the CRTC*_GUI_TRIG_VLINE register such that it waits for
        scanout to be outside of the destination vertical range.
      * Only wait if the window isn't redirected (backing pixmap is the
        screen pixmap)
      * Select the CRTC to to synchronize to according to visibility of
        the window, or if it's the same on both CRTCs, according to user
        preference (maybe reuse the XV_CRTC attribute for this?)