Great slowness with radeon(4x) and AccelMethod "EXA" for X.Org 7.2

Chris Rankin rankincj at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 18 08:34:43 PDT 2007

--- Michel Dänzer <michel at tungstengraphics.com> wrote:
> For compiz, you need someone to implement zero-copy tfp for the r200 3D driver,

That would be a "someone" at Tungsten Graphics, then ;-). And presumably for the radeon and r300
drivers too?

> then use the master branches of xserver (to become 1.4) and
> xf86-video-ati (to become 6.7) with EXA.

This is sounding like "Fedora 8" material...

> Meanwhile, as you found out, disabling 2D acceleration with Option "XaaNoOffscreenPixmaps"
> or Option "FBTexPercent" "100" (more or less same effect with EXA) seems to be the least of
> evils.

Interesting, because I'm currently not using the "XaaNoOffscreenPixmaps" option at all: compiz
performance is not amazing, but is OK. Would I lose access to the second 128 MB of my 256 MB
Radeon 9200 card if I did use it? The Xorg.0.log file says that it can only access the first 128
MB on my card directly.

Cheers,
Chris